Click for Abbotsford, British Columbia Forecast

Friday, February 10, 2006

A day in the life of...

Ok greetings.
I guess I haven't updated my blog in quite a while. I've been mostly running around doing things is why. Today I have a chill day though, so blog I do.
Uhm, so where to start??? so much has happened...
Uhm, I start with the accident, though I don't even remember what day it was (not cause of any sort of concussion though, just it was more than a few days ago). I was riding my motosai at night, doing about 25 around a sort of corner (not blind corner kind, just normal kind), and three kids in black on a bicycle were crossing the road at an angle, riding towards me and coming into my lane. I have a headlight, and so they saw me coming for sure, but I guess they decided not to change course, and by the time I saw them they were right in my path and I was going to fast to stop, but to slow to negotiate a fast turn, and the front wheel slipped out cause I was on gravel and I bit it. Not hard though. The little cuts on my leg are almost gone already. Mom, I was wearing a helmet. I'm fine, the bike is fine, we're all fine, and the kids are fine... they continued on as if I was not even there, didn't change course or anything... just one of them turned non-chalantly to look at me with a blank stare as they passed. It was kinda surreal. I picked up the bike and drove on.
Uhm... Ok, the waterfall. There's a story as to why I was looking for this waterfall, but I choose not to tell it, cause it's too long, and I pay by the minute here...
I found a beautiful waterfall, and my friend Jess was at home sleeping. She had desperately wanted to see one, but our earlier attempt had failed. That one was a bit small... like tiny small... warmy tiny small... So I happened to chance upon a massively huge and authentically beautiful waterfall in the jungle, and decided to surprise Jess by taking her there, since the last one was kind of a let down. I basically told her that on monday afternoon she should not make any plans, then I told her what to bring and we 'song-farong on a motosai'-ed it there. She absolutely snapped, she was so excited. Then we hiked for a good 3 hours, since there are 7 levels adn we wanted to reach the top. On the way, each level had its own special charm, it's own character. It was awesome. One of the levels had a tarzan swing. It was a real vine, hung from a real tree in the real jungle. No lies. I swung on it, and it is seriously hilariously fun. Plus we saw lots of wildlife. And then we got attacked by lots of wildlife. It started with us trying to find the path (since I guess no one every really hikes up there). We got to this really steep part and I climbed up, barely making it cause I used a rotten log as a hand-hold. I then stoon on the narrow ridge and we talked about wehre to go for a second before I felt something on my hand. Fire-ants. I tried to brush them off but the little rascals have a pretty good grip, and you basically need to pick them off one by one. I was in the process of finishing clearing my hand when I felt something on my feet. I looked down. I was covered in fire-ants up to my mid-shin. For a solid suare meter the ground around me was moving with ants. I don't like fire-ants very much. They bite, and it hurts. Like lots... so my ankles are covered in bites adn they don't feel good. Then on the way back down, (it turns out that the path doesn't go that way) I was walking on another rotten log and fel through right before reaching the bamboo forest. (real bamboo, real clump of wild bamboo... awesome). One of the bamboo trees had fallen over, and I smacked my chin on it while I was falling through the rotten log. My head snapped back and I bit it and almost rolled down the whole hill. Jess just stood there and laughed at me.
Then a bit later we got up to what we decided was going to be the end of the hike, since we lost the trail, and we sat on some rocks to eat a mite and drink some water. I looked down at my leg and sawa that I had a new wound. I didn't remember aquiring it, and it was bleeding a lot, so I leaned down to inspect it. then I saw the culprit. A leach. I got leached on three times, and those stupid creatures spit into you so you keep bleeding. I was seriously bleeding for a good 3 hours. Sucky!!!! no pun intended, but it was appreciated (on this end anyways, since I have been laughing at my own jokes lately, seeing as I am surrounded by Thai's who rarely understand my jokes). Ok, so I pulled the only remaining sucker off my leg, and we hiked back down. Then at one part of the trail we needed to squeeze by a vine that had fallen across our narrow and steep mountain trail, and I grabbed the vine to push it out of the way and realized that the leaf right below my hand had a spider on it. Now, I'm not one to be too afraid of a spider, but this sucker was about as big as a coaster at the bar. (sorry, I couldn't think of anything better to describe it.) Anyways, it was huge!!!! and thick too, not just all legs... it had a massive body, and it's fangs were a good centimeter long each. I held the vine much higher, trying not to disturb it's sleep, and Jess rushed by under my arm, and then I tried to do the same... I barely made it. Shelob crawled around and probably wanted to eat me, having heard from the leaches how tasty I am. But she missed, and we got out the cameras to take a picture. Then got the heck out of there. So yeah, that little hike turned out to be quite an adventure. But the amount of fun we had more than makes up for the amount of wildlife we were attacked by and the amount of blood I lost.
Uhm... ok, what else... I can't think of anything else special. Just midnight swims in the ocean to see the Phosforescence (I don't know how to say that word). Uhm, the swiss football team left yesterday, and later that evening Jessica left as well, so I'm all alone now. Just Me and the Thai's and I kinda like that. I mean, I will definitly miss the swiss clowns and their antics, and of course I will miss Jepsikwa, but it's nice to be here still. Uhm, so on that note, i will finally get to the point of this post: A Day in the Life of Kyle in Thailand! (or atleast a mon-fri day, cause the weekends are way to random to put down).

7:15 - I wake up. Usually barely, adn usually somewhat unhappily. I like sleeping, cause I'm really tired. Also, the bed is actually really comfortable. I usually just get up and get dressed and go, cause there's no point showering or doing my hair (not that I do my hair anyways, but ... you know).
7:30 - drive the motorbike to Happy Lagoon, where I eat a hearty rice soup (Khao Tom Kai) breakfast before heading off to work.
8:30-9:00 - travel to work on the highway... past various temples and fruit stands and restaurants and construction sites and bus stops and the gas station (the only one around) and so on and so forth, and of course past a lot of slow moving Thai traffic (all the while getting passed by the fast moving Thai traffic, cause nobody goes the same speed here).
9:00 - start work. Kinda... it's sort of Thai style here, kinda slow and relaxed, I like it. I work with 5 Thai guys since all the whitey's are gone now. Crazy Thai's at that, none of which speak more than a few words of English, and the only one who does is the pastor, and he is usually gone. I love it. Seriously, I learn a lot more Thai this way, adn I get to help them build houses their way. So far I have done all sorts of different jobs, such as:
Mixing cement
Passing or carrying buckets of cement
Buildig brick walls
Taking down brick walls cause I built them too crooked
Rebuilding brick walls
Pouring water on Brick walls
Plastering the walls
Framing
Digging ditches
Laying foundations
Raising support collumns
And today I spent most of the day lifting giant (1m x .5m) roof tiles to the Thais on the roof, buillding the roof.
It's hard work, multiplied by the heat and humidity, but I drink lots of water, and we laugh a lot at eachother's mis-pronounciation and silly grammar. Basically our lack of clear communicability (I made that up, I don't think it's a word) has become a great joke to us, and we laugh heartily all day long.
12:00 - Lunch!!! Eating home made Thai food on the gtround with Thai's is pretty much the awesomestest (again, made up word) experience. The food is good, and the company better. I like those people a lot.
1:00 - back to work!!!
3:00-3:30 - Finished Work!!! I drive back to Bang Niang, past various temples and fruit stands and restaurants and construction sites and bus stops and the gas station (the only one around) and so on...
3:30 - the second half of the reason I'm here starts. Hanging out with people. Tahi people. Today I got back and teh cleaning ladies at my hotel noticed that I had two pineapples in my fridge (I had already eaten one, they were three for 10 baht... that like (are you ready for this?)... that's three pineapples for about 30 cents. HA!). I said, yeah, I had them but I didn't know where to get them cut to eat, and they offered to, so we sat outside and they cut the saparot while I watched and we chatted in Thai. Then they left and I went and sat with Term, the facilities manager at the little hotel I am at. He pretty much sits at a small table underneath a palm tree in the courtyard/entrance to teh hotel all day, and chills. So, today I went and chilled with him. I drank some coffee, and we talked about the rain, since it had started lightly. Then suddenly it started not-so-lightly. Wow, when it rains here, it really goes all out. So we sat under the deck and continued our simple converstation (simple cause I don't know much thai yet). Then the owner of the hotel showed up with snacks. Pii Term offered some to me, and I took what I thought was meat on a stick. Upon putting it in my mouth (I was hesitant, but didn't want to offend my host), I realized that it probably wasn't meat, but it was still animal. I litterally gagged a few times before swallowing, and rushing inside to buy a coke to wash it down. I came back out and Khrue Term was laughing at me. It turns out I consumed raw pig intestines. Hmmm. Right now I'm pretty proud of myself, even though I know I'll never eat that again. But I did it! Haha.. oi!
So yeah, then I came here to check the email, and now having done that and typed this I think I am going to finish my day in the life of...
I will likely go eat supper at a small thai hole-in-the-wall restaurant for a solid 75 cents (my 3 meals for the day total about $2.75 Canadian), and then go back to the hotel to chill for a bit before going to visit friends at their stores in Khao Lak. I will then retire after a brief midnight swim (alone this time) barring any unforseen thunder storms like the one that just passed over, and get to sleep before another great day.
I do hope you guys are having as much fun as I am, (though I doubt it... suckers!!)
Take care.
later.

2 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

you mean, you're actually going to night swim alone? you could barely do it when I was there!!! just remember all the slimy things on the bottom of the ocean that found their way beneith my feet...now they will find yours. Lucky!
I miss you loads Khainoi (wink wink...i actually know what that means!!!). take care of my peeps out there.
STRUMMING MY PAIN WITH HIS FINGERS!!!

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

Yeshs, yesterday I went swimming by myself, but it was in the middle of the day, not at night. I stepped on something, no lie. It was a shark I think. Probably a big shark. I got away though, and when I got near the shore I looked down and counted 2 feet with 10 toes. All is well. except for the jellyfish that stung me on my chest when I was riding my motosai. say hi to Canada for me. I don't miss it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home