Click for Abbotsford, British Columbia Forecast

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Mio, the wonder bike.

OK, so it's official. I'm better. I went to work today. Jess let me drive. Man that Bike is awesome. It looks just like a scooter, but it's fast as a cheetah. It kinda hits some wierd kinda wobbles at 100kph, so I pretty much stay between 80 and 100. Plus driving on the 'wrong' side of the road and only on the shoulder has a wierd feeling to me from time to time, but I'm not too un-used to it by now. I've been whipping around all day. Fun.
We work about 30 mins away, (at 100kph), so it's well out of the tourist area, and I like it. Today I dug holes for supports, passed cement, and then spent part of the afternoon engaging in masonry. The brick kind. I've never done that before, but it's a good thing that Thai people have lower standards as far as brick work goes. THey plaster over it all anyways. So yeah, it was fun, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow.
The coolest part is that we work with the most outrageous group of guys you could ever imagine. An entire team and staff of a professional Swiss Soccer team. No joke, there's like national and euro-class football players passing me buckets of cement. They're video taping it too, adn news agencies from europe are going to be airing it once the story is complete. THe guys work half days, then have soccer practice on the beach, (and to their credit, they actually do work very hard at practice, even though it is on a Thai beach...) Oh yeah, and one of them is dating Miss Swiss 2003, and she's here right along side them, digging holes and covered in cement. Real down to earth girl for a pageant winner. So yeah, the days are seriously filled with laughter as these guys yell at eachother in swiss across the yard and make jokes and just yelling more. Can't understand a word. More fun. Oh yeah, and today there was created a mystery word. Nobody knows where it came from. It's not english, but the THai people say it to the Swiss to mean it's time to eat, thinking it's Swiss for eat, and the Swiss think it's Thai for time to eat, and try to repeat it. THen when the Thai repeat it and it goes back and forth and so on, each side thinks that they're being corrected and they try to pronounce it differently. As a native english speaker who speaks enough Thai to know that this word is not Thai, I do find the whole thing quite comical, and Jess and I stood there laughing for quite some time at this group of burly soccer players and little thai men talking at each other in a language that belongs to niether.
Awesome.
So to recap...
Fast bike.
Feel better.
Fun building.
Farong.
later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home