Click for Abbotsford, British Columbia Forecast

Monday, January 16, 2006

45 hours and counting...

Less than 2 days. I'm getting quite nervexcited... to coin a term. I'm an academic, I'm allowed to make up wordses.
I still don't know much about my trip, but that doesn't matter. Also, this is still a really boring post that I am writing. But just think, 2 more days and I'll have something to write about other than 'I stayed up till 4 last night'.
So with that in mind, on to the boredom that is my life at present.
I did laundry this morning, er, afternoon, when I woke up, and then when I get home tonight I'm gonna commence packing. Packing is gonna be wierd for me, cause it'll be something tangible that I am doing to prepare for my trip. I can call people and email back and forth and tell myself that I'm leaving the country in 2 days, but all that is in my mind, whereas a physical entity such as a filled back-pack is something that I can't just whisk away to the black hole of my subconscious like some sort of apparition. It's there, it's real, it has three dimensions, and it means I'm going somehere. Somewhere far away by the looks of things. Probably Thailand. So now I am faced with a reality, and no matter what you believe about reality, (perhaps you're a constructionist), it needs to be dealt with in a real way. (Those being too fundamental about their constructionism invariably tend to become dead constructionists, having failed to notice that that pain in their gut is something more than a constructed feeling. But hey, a chair isn't a chair unless you sit on it, right?).
But now on second thought, in order to better deal with the situation at hand it may actually benefit me to adopt a mildly constructionist outlook on the whole endeavour. If I look at my trip as a mere construction, I will be less inclined to fret about this or that, and will become free to live life without realizing that I am leaving and I may be able to quell that odd sensation in my gut which I cannot quantify or qualify as either nervousness or excitement. Then in 2 days when I am on the plane, (which is only a plane if it's in the air), I will be forced to deal with the matter at hand; that being that while I stepped onto the plane in Vancouver, I will be stepping off of it in Beijing. Now that's a mind bender, isn't it! I can enter a room through a doorway, and upon a few minor shifts in the gravitational field of that room, I can look out a port hole and watch the ground beneath the room drop away and move below, and then a different part of that ground will approach a number of hours later.
Is it only me? Or is it true that the world just changes its appearance around me so that I feel like I'm somwhere else, when really, I'm still on the holodeck aboard the enterprise, playing a game that at times feels all to real. Maybe this is all made up. Maybe nothing matters. Maybe there isn't even anything anyways, I'm only a thought in someone elses mind. Maybe I should drop my constructionist influence and adopt an existentialist one. We don't even really exist anyways...
Or maybe I should re-adopt the constructionist viewpoint and decide that I'm only a thought if I think I'm a thought, and that I can be more than a thought if I think that this whole holodeck adventure is actually real. A chair can be a coffee table if I use it as one, so perhaps this thought that I am can actually be a real life if I choose to believe that it can. So hey, why not! I'm gonna go home, pack my bag, and freak out cause I'm going to Thailand, which is actually very far away and I have to get there by flying in a plane, and that plane is already a plane, even if it's parked on a runway in China right now, and I'm gonna go eat some food cause I'm at my parents house, and I don't have any money to buy food.
See you later.
Kyle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home