Click for Abbotsford, British Columbia Forecast

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I hate mosquitos

But I love Thai construction crews.
I showed up to work on my first day and my contact was not there. I decided to find the foreman and tell him I'd help out anyways, so I did. As it turns out, no one on the crew speaks more than the token English words: 'Hello', 'how ah you?', 'well you go?'. And so it made for rocky beginnings, but once I convinced them to show me what to do rather than telling me, things worked out fine. They made fun of me alot, and I'm ok with that, cause my Thai is good enough that I could put forth a solid rebuttal from time to time usually to a fair amount of laughter. It's nice to have come to the point where I can joke with people in another language, as simple as those jokes may be. I actually made a pun today in Thai, I was so proud of myself. It's like a new level of understanding of a language, and totally risky cause you never know what associations the culture may have already made with certain words or phrases, but I got off scott-free so I'll risk it again perhaps. I think I made some friends though, so that's good. Can't remember they're names but there's time for that. We talk a lot about differences between Thailand and Canada, and I am teaching them English words, and they're teaching me Thai words. It's a mutually beneficial relationship.
I spent all day carrying buckets of cement,or lifting buckets of cement, or passing buckets of cement in a fire-brigade fashion. Fun times. So yeah, that's about all. The days are slow, but not in the dragging on and on sort of way. More in the relaxed way. Our 30 minute lunch breaks are like an hour and a bit long. So I think I'll go away now, I'm kinda tired, and I have to go to work for 6 hours tomorrow, then I'm going to a Skate-church in Pattaya that was started by some friends, I'm gonna hang out with a bunch of Thai skater punks.
wicked awesome.
ok, I'mma go.
later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home