Click for Abbotsford, British Columbia Forecast

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Old Takuapa

Takuapa is a pretty rad place. But Old Takuapa...
So it's Sunday Morning here in Thailand, and I decided to go get some food before church. Now, Friday on our way to Phang Nga we passed through what I knew to be Takuapa, past the soccer field where those swiss guys won the Championship, and down the road a bit further to this little city that was completely old looking and out of the way of anything. I asked the ajarn what it was, and he said it was Old Takuapa. It was beautiful. So, I decided that my next adventure needed to take place in Old Takuapa. What better way to have an adventure than to go look for Sunday morning Khao Tom Kai in a new city. So, this morning I drove out to Old Takuapa in search of my favorite Thai breakfast, Rice Soup with Chicken. I stopped on the way to watch the sunrise from this old ricketty metal suspention bridge build just wide enough for a motorcycle to pass onother motorcycle, and after a few photos, I continued on my way to breakfast. Upon arriving in Old Takuapa I set about looking for a place to eat. Now, in any other town, this would have been no problem. Probably every block has a few places to eat, to you just stop at the first one you see. This city did not though. It was like everyone in te world was probably still asleep. Finally, like, an entire 4 blocks later I found a place that was open. I went and asked the lady if they had Khao Tom Kai, and she said no, but they'd surely have it at the morning market. Morning market? She gave me directions, and upon turning the last corner I realized that everyone was infact awake, and that everyone was infact at this market. So I parked Mio and Set about finding my rice soup. OK, now, I've been places before that they don't often see white people, but this place was just wierd. I walked in to the section that apparently had rice soup, and everyone at all the tables stopped talking and stared at me. I could hear them whispering 'farong!' 'there's a farong here!!! look!!' and so on. The only empty chair was at a table with this man who looked kinda creepy. Well, I sat down, and it was ok, cause he left in 5 minutes. AS soon as I sat down, the place returned to it's previous, semi-chaotic state, and all was well. A few minutes later I was joined by these two amazingly awesome and hilarious old men. Seriously, like, the Thai version of Walter Mathau and Jack Lemon in teh movie... Grumpy Old Men. These guys ruled, and they were hilarious to sit with. I mostly ate while they talked to eachother, and I generally couldn't understand too much of what they were saying, but they were very animated in both their gestures and their tones, so it was a riot. Upon completion of my meal, I paid the 50 cents it cost me and bid farewell to Walt and Jack, and was on my way.
So, another day, another adventure.
Until next time...
later.

1 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

oh man. I wish I knew about old takuapa! So cool! you have the greatest adventures and find the coolest things! I miss you and I miss Mio. Bugs in the eyes, wind in my hair, and toilet paper in my ears. Nothing quite like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home