Click for Abbotsford, British Columbia Forecast

Monday, June 19, 2006

Pro's and Con's of being quite ill.

{Alternate working title: Sick Days: Part II}

I generally can't say I am a big fan of being sick. However, I can ceratinly say that I am a big fan of sick days.
I am currently sick again. This time a bit different than last... less psychological, and more nauseatical. Don't tell me it's not a word. I have a B.A. now, and that means that I can fall into the loving arms of poetic liscence. If I say nauseatical, then it's a word. I have a B.A. I am a university graduate. I have gone through 4 (read 'six') years of university level education. I have a degree. I work at a low-paying and labour-intensive summer job. I have a B.A.
I am sick.
So anyways, there are a number of descriptivorialianismicological (again; don't question me... I'm warning you) qualities that can be applied to the concept of sickness. These qualities--while they describe a single state of being--can be placed into two distinct, yay, two mutually exclusive and inherently opposite categories. These categories are: 1) Things I like; and 2) Things that I do not like.

The first category includes descriptivorialianismicological qualities of sickness such as 'not having to go to work', and 'getting a day off.' These could be better explained with statements such as the following:
I don't have to be asked to do three things all at one time.
I don't have to be asked to do anything at all.
I can spend time reading a good book (such as Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, which I am working on right now.
I can eat whenever I feel like it, even if it's not between the hours of 12:00pm and 1:00pm.
I can drink tea. Lots. With honey.
and,
I can enjoy the out-of-doors. It was sunny today, and I was not forced to be inside a stinky factory.

The secong category includes qualities such as the following:
Having a headache.
Wanting to throw up, but not feeling energetic enough to do so.
Missing a days worth of wages on the next paycheck.
Coughing.
Nauseaticalisms.
Not being able to fully enjoy the flavour of my favored foods and beverages.
Not tasting coffee, even when I drink it.
Shivering then sweating, then shivering again. (It's like when I worked day shift in the middle of summer at the food processing plant, I was moving product in and out of the freezers. Also, it's like being in South East Asia. Those crazy asian's love their A/C).
Coughing worse than before.
Feeling bad for missing work (redemption came in the form of a phone-call to a fellow employee... as it turns out, there was hardly anything to do today and they were mostly bored).
And so on...

So, illness of the sort by which I am plagued these days can be both a blessing and a curse simultaneously. And it baffles me to consider the quantum repercussions of a single element bearing qualities from opposing camps, and still functioning as an operational entity. There's gotta be a life lesson somewhere in all this... it's like those beetles that explode when they get agitated. Hmmm, on second thought, that comparison takes too much energy to explain. Forget it... I'm sick, afterall.
later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home