Click for Abbotsford, British Columbia Forecast

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Really teed at Realty

So, our landlords have put their house on the market, leaving us (my roommate and I) unsure about where we will be living in a few months. I will dearly miss our landlords if the sale does go through. They are genuinely excellent people. They have two wonderful young boys who let me play with their remote control monster trucks from time to time, and are just a very sincere and giving family. I could not have asked for better landlords when I was first moving out. They have been a blessing.
The realty company however, has been somewhat less of a blessing. Not that they're bad people, just that their job is a rather intrusive one. They have to show people around the house, and during those times they ask that we be 'not present.' This is so that the house can look lived in, but without the awkward presence of two young men who are either the prospective buyers' future tenants, or future evictees. I guess I can see how that might be awkward. However, let me say, it's a bit disconcerting haveing someone we don't know show people we don't know around our place while we're not there. Not awesome. Secondly, they seem to make plans to tour tehe house at the most inopportune times, and with very little warning.
Yesterday I worked until 5, then went to coach until 6:30 like I normally do. I got a message on my phone in the afternoon saying that they had 2 viewings scheduled for that evening, one from 6-6:30 (no problem), and the other from 7-8pm. Problem. I need to eat. Also, I'm sick, I had insomnia the night before, and I'm stinky after a work-day on the hottest day of the year so far. I mostly want nothing other than to go home, eat, shower, and then probably go to bed and try to sleep. Well, I decided I would have no time to shower and sleep, but I could very likely eat between 6:30 and 7, and so I attempted to do so. I arrived home at 6:17, hoping that the first group had gone already, and indeed they had. I was lucky. Now I had 43 minutes to eat, instead of just 30. I got out my food, eating some crackers while I did, wasting no time getting my mouth full of food. But before I could sit down and actually enjoy the meal, I heard the landlords front door unlock, and the sound of foreign voices. Quick, put all the food back, grab your backpack and shoes and slip out the side door. Listen... no voices. Walk quietly to the front... and, Oh. Everyone is standing right there. Hi.
My roommate was sitting in his car, parked across the road. I guess he had wanted to stop in between too. He was shaking his head as I approached, and we went to EA and sat for 1.5 hours, and thankfully he bought me some food (since I have 'insufficient funds' for even a bagel). Then finally after waiting quite impatiently, we arrived home to an almost empty house, some food, a shower, and most important, some cough medicine and my bed.
So as you can see, this was more than an inconvenience. It was a bonifide frustration. But, hey, I guess that's life. I called the landlords later that night and explained the situation, and the realter was there with them, and he appologized on behalf of his company and promised that we would get 24 hours notice from now on.
Well, that promise lasted about... no time. I got a message on my phone today. IT made me cringe and feel so sorry for my roommate. Now, you need to understand something. My roommate is the sleep-in guru. He has his routine down to a science. I actually admire his ability to wake up 12 minutes before he needs to be out the door and still make it out showered and ready for the day. It amazes me. In a pinch, I can do the same to, but I find that when I wake up stressed, the rest of the day follows that route, and I have a bad day. So, I wake up giving myself plenty of time to relax and make sure that everything is in place. The right side of the bed for Kyle. Hamish has his right side too, and if he gets too close to that side he'll roll back towards the left and stay put until the last possible second. So now you understand who he is, then know that today was his day off. When I'm around on his day's off, I don't expect to see him until after 10. Poor little guy...
The realty company called at 8:35, asking that they realters take a tour of the house at 9:00am. Not even 30 minutes later. This is why I cringed and felt terrible for Hamish. What a bad scene it has been.
Apparently a serious offer has been placed, and so we'll see how this all develops in the future. I'll keep you updated as to any significant changes in my living arrangement.
peace.

3 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kyle,

I haven't even see your place...what if you move and I never come over? Hmmm...

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

yeah, wierd.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

What a horrible scene Kyle!!! They don't do that in small towns. People don't care if other people are in there when they show the house. Actually, they usually ask the people that are living there to show the house. I don't envy you right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home